A Brief History
In 1828 The Washington Hunt was established by the British Minister, Sir Charles Vaughn.The kennels located at the corner of 14th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, and hunting covered the area from Rock Creek across the territory of the Mall and as far east as the junction of Florida and New York Avenues.
Eventually it became the Dunblane Hunt, which was succeeded in 1892 by the Chevy Chase Hunt, which pursued fox and released stag from their Montgomery County based kennels.
The loss of Master of Hounds, Clarence Moore with the sinking of the Titanic in 1912 spelled the demise of the Chevy Chase Hunt, which disbanded in 1916 and the beginning of WWI.
The Potomac Hunt was recognized by the Master of Foxhound Association in 1931 when it was located on Charlie Carrico's Bradley Farm on Bradley Boulevard and River Road. Three years later hounds were moved once again to Harry H. Semmes' Great Elm Farm on Glen Road and remained there through WWII with members hunting on a "catch-as-can" basis.
In 1945, a property on Glen Road near Travilah Road was purchased which served as clubhouse and kennels for the ensuing thirty-five years. In 1980 with the pressure of encroachment from development in the Potomac village vicinity climbing, the hunt purchased property at the junction of Peach Tree Road and Selman Road near Barnesville, its present location.
Although the pressure of development still shadows the hunt country, the protection afforded by the Agricultural Reserve and other entities supporting the continuation of a rural life style permits the Potomac Hunt members to continue to chase a very healthy fox population three times a week with a champion pack of American Foxhounds.